Are you tired of undercooked or overcooked rice? Does making perfect rice seem like a difficult task? Fear not, because the Instant Pot has come to the rescue. This kitchen gadget can easily make perfectly cooked rice with just a push of a button.
Cooking rice in the Instant Pot is a quick and easy way to prepare a staple food you can use in various dishes. With a bit of practice, you’ll be able to master the technique and create perfect rice every time. And you do not even need extra Instant Pot accessories.
Choosing the right rice
The first step in making perfect Instant Pot rice is choosing the right type of rice. There are many different types of rice apart from low carb cauliflower rice including long-grain, short-grain, and brown rice, each with unique characteristics.
For most dishes, long-grain rice is the best option. It has a lower starch content and results in fluffy, separate grains. Basmati rice is famous for Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine, while Jasmine rice is great in Asian dishes.
Measuring the rice and water
The next step is to measure the rice and water correctly. Generally, the ratio of rice to water is one cup of rice to one and a half cups of water.
It is important to note that this ratio may vary slightly depending on the type of rice and your personal preference. Some people prefer a bit drier or wetter rice, and you can adjust the ratio accordingly.
“Making Instant Pot rice is incredibly easy. You can either use the rice setting on your Instant Pot or use 4 minutes with a natural pressure release. I make it twice a week for homemade dog food. I use bone broth as the liquid and I typically do 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup of rice ratio of liquid to rice. And the good thing is you have some wiggle room. A little more or a little less and the rice still comes out delicious!”— Lara Clevenger MSH, RDN, LaraClevenger.com
Preparing the rice
Before cooking the rice, it is important to rinse it thoroughly to remove excess dirt and starch. This will prevent the rice from becoming sticky. Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer until the water is clear.
After rinsing, add the rice to the Instant Pot and add water. Stir to combine, and then secure the lid.
For additional crunch, you can sauté the rice in oil to gently brown the grains before mixing it with the water in the Instant Pot.
Cooking the rice
The next step is to cook the rice in the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to manual mode and adjust the time based on the type of rice you are cooking. For example, if you cook long-grain white rice, set the timer for 4 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release any remaining pressure manually.
Fluffing the rice
The final step is to fluff the rice with a fork. Gently stir the rice with a fork, and fluff it down to the bottom of the Instant Pot. It will separate the grains and make the rice light and fluffy.
Serve the rice immediately or keep it warm in the Instant Pot by selecting the “Keep Warm” function.
Tips for perfect Instant Pot rice
Here are some additional tips to ensure your Instant Pot rice turns out perfectly every time:
- Use good quality rice: High-quality rice will cook more evenly and have a better texture.
- Let the rice sit before fluffing: After cooking, let the rice sit for a few minutes before fluffing. It will allow the grains to set and become firmer.
- Do not open the Instant Pot too soon: Opening the Instant Pot too soon can release the pressure and cause the rice to end up undercooked.
- Adjust the cooking time: Depending on your altitude and the type of rice, you may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Experiment with seasonings: Rice is a blank canvas, so feel free to experiment with different condiments like chili paste or herbs to add flavor.
Flavorful additions for Instant Pot rice
Here are a few ideas for ingredients you can add to your Instant Pot rice to give it some extra flavor:
- Herbs and Spices: Add dried herbs or spices to the cooking water, such as thyme, oregano, cumin or paprika. It will infuse the rice with a delicious flavor.
- Broth: Swap out some of the water for chicken, vegetable or bone broth to give the rice a richer, more savory taste.
- Vegetables: Add chopped vegetables to the Instant Pot with rice, such as onion, garlic, carrots, or bell peppers. It will add texture and flavor to the rice.
- Beans: Adding beans to your rice can be a great way to boost its protein content and make it a more satisfying meal. Add canned black beans or kidney beans, or cook some dried beans in the Instant Pot with the rice.
- Coconut Milk: Add some coconut milk to the Instant Pot along with the rice for a creamy and slightly sweet rice dish. This is an excellent option for Thai-inspired rice dishes.
- Mexican Rice: Add diced tomatoes and taco seasoning for a Mexican-inspired rice dish or chopped carrots and peas for a vegetable rice pilaf.
Mastering Instant Pot rice is a great way to simplify your cooking routine and easily create delicious, healthy meals.
Zuzana is the creative force behind her websites Lowcarb-nocarb and Best Clean Eating. As a content creator, food recipe developer, blogger, and photographer, Zuzana brings diverse skills to the table with a dedication to sharing delicious, healthy recipes and helpful tips with the readers.